Re: Structure and Translation Strategy (was "Negation and discourse prominence [was Romans 7:15]")

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Apr 20 1998 - 00:32:24 EDT

At 8:40 AM -0700 4/19/98, dalmatia@eburg.com (George) wrote:

>Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>
>> > OU GAR hO` QELW TOUTO PRASSW =
>> > For it's not true that hO` QELW TOUTO PRASSW
>> > For it's not the case that I do what I wish to do OR
>> > The proposition "I do what I want to do" is incorrect

Actually, Goerge, it's not quite fair to blame this cumbersome translation
on Carl. :-) It's mine.

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/
You can also access my online bibliography of Greek Linguistics at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/greek.linguistics.bibliography/bibliography.
html