Re: Philippians 2:3

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Mon Apr 20 1998 - 19:29:56 EDT

Hello Arto!

I think a key word in this verse is hHGOUMENOI. The point is not that
everyone else IS necessarily better than me, but that I should esteem
and consider them as if they were. The point is not the raising of
others, but the humbling of self. That is, I'm not to put everyone on a
pedestal (because many may not be worthy of such merited honour), but
I'm to make myself a servant of everyone, regardless of their personal
honour. Hope this helps.

Best regards!
George Athas
 PhD (Cand.), University of Sydney
 Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College
Phone: 0414 839 964 ICQ#: 5866591
Email: gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm