RE: Jn 21:15-17

From: Perry L. Stepp (plstepp@flash.net)
Date: Fri Apr 17 1998 - 16:25:06 EDT

Hello, all.

> > Jim
> > I'm very happy to see you say that AGAPAW and FILEW _do_
> > really mean something different (in this dialogue) after all.
> > Without wishing to get on Carson's case again, Fallacies p52
> > ("For various reasons I doubt very much that there is an
> > intended distinction")

Far be it from me to fan flames of further discussion (a little alliteration
there) on this already overbaked topic, but:

Anyone who discusses this already overbaked topic without considering Leon
Morris's discussion of variations in John's vocabulary and style (*Studies
in the Fourth Gospel* [Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1969], 293-319) proceeds at
their own peril. Morris convinced me that the variations in 21.15-17 are
part of a pattern of variation common to the fourth gospel, and that the
standard "preacher Greek" interpretation ("Do you love me?" "Yes, I like
you.") is way off base.

PLStepp

Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
#1 Cowboy Fan
Keeper of the Top-10, news://alt.fan.letterman

I know Hell is real--I've dealt with Comp USA's
customer service department!Ê So repent!Ê
(Or at least go to Best Buy.)

Seeing upon how slippery a place
Fortune for mortals and misfortune stand.
Therefore the man that lives at ease should look
For rocks ahead, and when he prospers most
Watch lest he suffer shipwreck unawares.
               --Sophocles, *Philoctetes* 502-06