Re: Jn 21:15-17

From: Steven Cox (scox@ns1.chinaonline.com.cn.net)
Date: Sun Apr 19 1998 - 01:33:52 EDT

        David
        Valid point, and again I'd agree, but the issue is not
        about lexical antonymy, but rather the dynamic in the
        dialogue and the intent of the Author. Jack Kilmon just
        pointed out (off list) that Jerome's use of diligis for
        FILEW here is unique to the NT. That illustrates, to me
        at least, that internal dynamics between these 3 couplets
        (actually 3 triplets) were recognised by one early and
        competent translator as an important part of the intent.
        Yet, and this is where your point is proven, Jerome didn't
        bother elsewhere in John [acknowledgements to Jack again].
        Regards
        Steven