Re: Jn 21:15-17

From: dalmatia@eburg.com
Date: Wed Apr 22 1998 - 09:47:36 EDT

Paul S. Dixon wrote:

> >Simply our view of the similarities and differences and their
> >relationship to each other and the subsequent meaning we then assign
> >to this passage [of AGAPAS and FILEIS].
>
> Huh? I think you misunderstood my question. I certainly was not asking
> how one's theological perspective generally affects his interpretation.
> I was asking specifically how one's theology in Jn 21:15-17 affects his
> interpretation of the meaning of AGAPAS ... FILEIS. Someone had said
> this and it seemed to be suggesting that my interpretation stems from a
> particular theological persuasion. I would still like some elaboration on
> this.

Well, Paul, I was only showing how MY 'theological perspective' places
AGAPAS as divine, and FILEIS as human, and the results of this
perspective in my understanding of this passage, which as well
proceeds from MY theological perspective of John's concept of the ARCH
of time. With NO theological perspective, we end up chasing the
squirrels of historical usage of these two terms, as we have been
doing, in our attempt to gain what we might like to think is an
'unbiased' perspective. There can be many 'theological perspectives'
on these two terms, and each will result in different understandings.
'Tis a tricky and thorny issue, eh?

I, for one, did not cast your interpretation into ANY such perspective
or theology. That is really none of my business! And actually, I
thought you were pretty 'objective' in your treatment of this issue.

George