Play on words, or mixed images (James 1:14-15)

From: Paul Zellmer (zellmer@isabela.faith.edu.ph)
Date: Fri Apr 24 1998 - 14:54:42 EDT

We have just spent some time talking about SULLABOUSA in James 1:15.
We noted that SULLAMBANW has the literally meaning, "to capture," and
the figurative meaning, "to conceive." We also noted that the
participles of verse 14, ECELKOMENOS and DELEAZOMENOS seem to be a
hunting image, but the verbs of verse 15, TIKTEI and APOKUEI, give a
birthing image. Is James making a play on words by using SULLAMBANW, a
word whose usage would go with both images? Or does the Greek idiom
use the hunting/fishing terms of verse 14 to speak of "sexual trolling"?

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer@faith.edu.ph