Re: Ancient Greek Reading (was Punctuation in Codex Bezae)

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Apr 25 1998 - 23:31:13 EDT

Those of you who have been following the "Ancient Greek Reading" thread may
be interested in a book that E.D. Cabanne recommended to me. It looks very
relevant to our discussion.

        Harry Y. Gamble. _Books and Readers in the Early Church, A History of
        Early Christian Texts_. Yale University Press, 1995.

If I'm not badly mistaken this is the same Gamble who wrote a fascinating
study of the manuscript evidence for the ending of Romans. Do any of you
know for sure if it's the same author?

What does this have to do with Biblical Greek? (You may be wondering.) We
have been discussing the way reading the Greek text aloud would have been
done with no punctuation in the manuscripts. This book apparently includes
discussions of several topics relevant to this discussion.

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/
You can also access my online bibliography of Greek Linguistics at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/greek.linguistics.bibliography/bibliography.
html