Re: Dead Sea Mark

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sat Apr 25 1998 - 09:15:41 EDT

At 12:49 PM 4/25/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Jim West wrote (shouted?):

Nope- one can't shout at a screen or one becomes a loon :)

> The second part is not exact. O'Callaghan effectively suggested
>that 7Q5 is a fragment of Mark, but Carsten Thiede does not say it is
>necessary so.

I have read both Thiede and O'Callaghan- and believe you have this just
backwards. It is O who suggested and T who maintains it IS Mk.

> In his book, Thiede compares the methods of Classical
>philology and Biblical studies, and supports the view that, after the
>evidence alleged by O'Callaghan, in strict observation of the methods of
>Classical scholarship, the burden of the prove now lies in the part denying
>the antiquity of the Evangile of Mark in the terms proposed by O'Callaghan.

This is completely backwards so far as scholarship is concerned. It is the
duty of a person making a claim to prove it- not his opponents to disprove it!

>This very interesting book of Thiede exemplifies how different the methods
>and the attitudes in Classical Philology and Biblical studies are, and
>that's something that Jim West a-bit-too-energetic recently posts shows
>well.

Well, thanks for saying I am energetic!

> Caps, irritancy and dozens of exclamation marks don't make an
>argument any stronger. Ben did not forget to mention excruciating and
>gymnastic twisting, since O'Callaghan's theories are built with sound,
>valuable philological arguments, that need to be answered in the same way.

No- they are not! And little emphases are useful!

> If this is correct, I agree that *that* is an argument. I must
>recognise that I don't know the work of W. Slaby alluded, but I'll see
>where or how I can read it, as well as Graham Stanton's book. Thanks to
>Nichael for the reference (What exactly is the title of W. Slaby's work).

What- you havn't read Stanton? If you have only read one side of the
debate, without checking into the other, how can you decide which view is
the most reasonable and fits best with the evidence?

Best,

Jim

(not very energetic today- too much pollen in the air)

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology

jwest@highland.net