Re: Either/Or?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 17:22:26 EDT

At 4:38 PM -0500 4/27/98, Eric Weiss wrote:
>How would the Loeb Classical Library volumes (Greek on one page, English
>on the other) on the Papyri (3 volumes, I believe) do for this kind of
>extra-NT Koine reading?

On the whole, not very well, in my opinion. The facing English translations
in the Loeb versions range from very poor (a few) to not particularly good
(most) to some very good ones (a few). Even when they are very good,
however, they are not meant to be literal versions, and if you're having
trouble making sense of a bit of syntax, they're not likely to be very
helpful: they'll tell you what the sentence or paragraph as a whole means
rather than HOW it means that. To my mind the French BudŽ versions (which,
like the Loebs, have facing French and Greek) are more accurate, but
they're not useful to everyone. I think one would do better with a good
text and commentary than with a facing version or even a real trot.