Classical Education

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Tue Apr 28 1998 - 13:27:47 EDT

Carl, Ward, Ed, et al:

I have appreciated the recent exchange regarding the place and importance
of the reading of the non-canonical Greek writings.

Lest anyone think I am committed to burying my head in the sands of
canonical writings exclusively, let me assure you that is not the case.
I do and have read some of the fathers, the Didache and the LXX. To me,
though, it is just a matter of priorities.

Most seminaries today are strongly recommending an undergraduate liberal
arts education, surely for the same reasons being espoused on the list.
I personally have a B.A. in mathematics. In high school and college I
took two years of Latin, 2 years of German, and 2 years of French. Sure
wish now I had taken 2 or 3 years of classical Greek instead, but I don't
think it was even being offered.

Recently some people in our church started a private school based upon
the premises of classical education. They are teaching Latin to
gradeschoolers and have plans to begin teaching Greek, as well. In
junior high they will be teaching logic, then rhetoric, all of which are
disciplines regularly studied by the schoolboys for hundreds of years,
but which are no longer studied, at least in the public schools. We are
all very excited about this program. It is both classical in its
approach and Christ-centered. For more information on this see:

        http://www.logosschool.com, or
        http://www.moscow.com/resources/credenda

Paul Dixon

Dr. Paul S. Dixon, Pastor
Wilsonville, Oregon
http://users.aol.com/dixonps
http://users.why.net/think/greek

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]