Pagan versus Secular Greek

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 19:21:55 EDT

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:59:17 -0700 "Jane Harper" <jharper@ix.netcom.com>
writes:
>> This is just what I feared from Jane Harper's comment that if one
reads the
>> Apostolic Fathers, one can be "edified" as well as expand one's
exposure to
>> non-canonical Greek. I really don't know whether she meant by that to
say
>> that reading "pagan" Greek authors is not edifying.
>
>Not in the same way. However, I was sloppy in omitting a word that
would >have clarified .. "first". My comment was meant to say that, as a
believer, after
>the NT I would prefer to read the Fathers first [or at least some of
them!]
>before attempting secular authors. [Please note I NEVER said "pagan".
> I used to be one! :) ] I also have some misgivings about using works
>written in Attic Greek to enhance one's fluency in Hellenistic
Greek--but as a
>newbie, I'm talking through my hat without data on that one.

I used to think the term "pagan" carried a derogatory connotation, but
later came to realilze its use does not necessarily mean that at all.
This
was the way I was using it recently, but it seems others are seeing a
derogatory sense in it. Perhaps "secular" is a better way to describe
non-sacred or non-canonical literature.

Paul Dixon

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]