Re: Middle/Passive in Ro 9:22

From: Mark O'Brien (markus@upnaway.com)
Date: Sat May 02 1998 - 09:14:32 EDT

At 08:45 AM 5/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
<snip>
>Now with regard to KATHRTISMENA, I really think the context points toward
>its having a passive sense: 9:19-21 provides the image of the potter and
>the clay, and it seems difficult to me, considering the image of the
>craftsman, to suppose that the clay is assuming its shape of its own
>volition. If that's the case, isn't it more reasonable to undertand
>KATHRTISMENA as passive?

Upon further reflection, I think you're right here... the context does
seem to point towards the passive, and a reflexive sense just wouldn't fit.
 (Context, context, context, eh?)

Thanks also, Carl for your clarification of your thoughts on the M/P issue.
 I need to go over this again more carefully. Also thanks to Dale for
explaining the Gramcord tagging in this case.

XARIS hUMIN KAI EIRHNH,

M.

-----
Rev. Mark B. O'Brien
Assoc. Pastor, Subiaco Church of Christ, Western Australia
Lecturer, South Perth Christian College, Western Australia

markus@upnaway.com
-----
To attack a man for talking nonsense is like finding your mortal enemy
drowning in a swamp and jumping in after him with a knife. --Karl Popper