Re: LXX question?

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 10:04:12 EDT

At 08:58 PM 5/4/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Does Rahlfs Septuagint contain the apocrypha?

yup.

>Thanks
>Justin Johnson
>
>P.S. I would also be interested in the major differences between Brenton
>and Rahlfs and other versions of the Septuagint. Also are there any bible
>translations that use the Septuagint to translate some of the OT books into
>English?

Regarding the LXX as source for english versions- yes, the deuterocanonicals
are translated from Greek in the NRSV, the REB, and most other english
versions. The reason- most of the deuterocanonicals are only preserved in
Greek (though at Qumran we find a few in Hebrew).

But, if by OT you mean the Protestant version sans apocrypha, then the
answer is no. 2 kings, for instance, is translated in english versions from
the Hebrew text. No book, to my knowledge, found in the Hebrew Bible and in
the LXX has been translated from the LXX in an english version.

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology

jwest@highland.net