Re: Simon of Bethany

From: Jack Kilmon (jkilmon@historian.net)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 12:08:40 EDT

Steven Cox wrote:

> Dear all
> This may actually be a question for b-aramaic list, but as I
> don't know aramaic and there may be something in the greek
> text I am missing I submit this question to b-greek. Your
> forbearance please.
>
> Below there is a simplified parallel of the anointings in the
> Gospels. My question relates to the name LAZAROS, which BAGD
> gives as an abreviation of Eleazar (which in LXX is ELEAZAR),
> and cites Josephus' War 5:567 MANNAIOS hO LAZAROU.
>
> (1) Is it possible that as in the Josephus example LAZAROS is a
> patronymic?
>
> (2) Alternatively the Medieval Latin "lazarus"(=leper) has
> something more than the NT use behind it. My gut reaction is
> to reject this out of hand.. but.. maybe there is an Aramaic
> word play in the stem L-Z-R?
>
> (3) Or Simon is simply Lazarus' elder brother or father?

> Matt 26:6 Mark 14:3 Luke 7:40/10:40 John 11:2
> Simon Pharisee
> Capernaum
> woman drys feet who dried feet
> with her hair with her hair
>
> a village
> Mary
> Martha
> Martha
> Simon leper Simon leper Lazarus
> Bethany Bethany Bethany
> woman woman Mary
> Judas Judas Judas

        James Trimm recently did an exegesis on this in the
b-Aramaic list. Copying directly from James:

And when Yeshua was in Bethany at the house of
        Simon the leper,

As any Bible student knows, lepers were not permitted to live in the
city
(see Lev. 13:46). Since ancient Hebrew and Aramaic were written without
vowels, there was no distinction between the Aramaic words GAR'BA
(leper)
and GARABA (jar maker or jar merchant). Since in this story a woman
pours
oil from a jar it is apparant that Simon was a jar merchant or jar maker
and not a leper.

        This is a possibility.

Jack

--