Re: Simon of Bethany

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 20:11:43 EDT

James Trimm wrote:

> >BTW: the Law did not require one to stay outside the city once one's
> >leprosy had been cured, so this does not rule out SIMWN hO LAZAROS being
> >an ex-leper potter. (Or even an ex-Pharisee ex-leper potter for all we
> >know!).
> >

> Is there some element in the Greek to suggest he was Simon the EX-leper
> rather than Simon the lepper?

Who's to say there must be an element there? Isn't Elvis still referred to as
"the King"? But he wasn't a royal! And he's dead now (in my opinion anyway -
though the guy at the local 7-Eleven looks....), but he isn't now called "the
EX-King". Maybe Simon was dead at the time of the narrative mentioning his
house?

Best regards!
George Athas
 PhD (Cand.), University of Sydney
 Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College
Phone: 0414 839 964 ICQ#: 5866591
Email: gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm