RE: AUQENTEIN

From: Pete Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Date: Mon May 18 1998 - 07:16:04 EDT

Thanks for your comments, Carl - Marshall comes from the evangelical wing of historical-critical scholarship, as you will probably know already. And so his dating of the Pastorals etc is a little tentative.

However, your post raises an interesting issue about contexts. Is there such an easily defined difference between the textual context and the historical context. I don't want to get into the debate re. gender-egalitarianism et al. here nor into hermeneutical issues either. I just have an inkling that a text can't be dealt with away from/by ignoring its historical context and that this, especially in a discoursive setting like 'Paul''s correspondence with one of his students, determines how the text needs to be read. Translation cannot just be a lexical task whereby we seek appropriate meanings for a word from LSJ et al. OIMAI, OIMAI, APPOLUMI takes on completely different emphasis on the lips of George Michael as it does on the lips of Iphigenia!

Beware all participants who answer this question by glibly turning to LSJ?BAGD or whatever. That's the start but not the end.

Pete Phillips,
Lecturer in NT,
Cliff College, Calver, Derbyshire, UK
Tel: 01246 582321