Re: adjectives

From: Paul R. Zellmer (zellmer@pworld.net.ph)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 18:50:57 EDT

Carl wrote:

> One expects to find compounded adjectives as having only
> one ending for m&f, another for the n. (e.g. AQANATOS, AQANATON; ARGOS
> <A-ERGOS, ARGON; but hAMARTWLOS and the very common ERHMOS are exceptional
> (we see hH ERHMOS early in the synoptic gospels repeatedly, often without
> realizing that ERHMOS is an adjective and that the understood noun with it
> is GH).

Carl,

You raised a point that caused a side question in my mind. My initial
reaction to this statement was, "But hAMARTWLOS *is* a compounded
adjective, the A-privative being the addition." But then I started
asking myself where the rough breathing came in. I must admit that I
don't have a good answer, yet the resources I've looked up seem to
indicate that we do indeed have a compounded word here.

Are you saying that hAMARTWLOS is not a compound, or does your
"exceptional" mean that they are noteworthy illustrations? If it is a
compound, where does the rough breathing come from?

Thanks,

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines