Re: Exodus 9:11 phrase relationship to 1 Kings 8:11

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Sun Jun 14 1998 - 18:18:02 EDT

At 02:25 PM 6/12/98 -0500, dbielby@juno.com wrote:

>I've discovered that Ex.9:11 contains the exact phrase in the LXX as 1
>Kings 8:11 (thanks to LRS 2.1c) except it refers to the Magicians
>standing before Moses, rather than the Priests standing before the Lord.
>Once again, it seems to be a descriptive Imperfect implying a physical
>inability to stand.

This is a pretty normal phrase, and the duplication isn't extensive:

Ex 9:11 KAI OUK HDUNANTO hOI FARMAKOI STHNAI ENANTION MWUSH ENANTION MWUSH
DIA TA hELKH
1 Ki 8:11 KAI OUK HDUNANTO hOI hIEREIS STHNAI LETOURGEIN APO PROSWPOU THS
NEFELHS hOTI EPLHSEN DOXA KURIOU TON OIKON

The overlap amounts to "the X's were not able to stand", where it is the
priests in one case and the magicians in the other. In both verses, the
reason they were not able to stand is also given, but using different words
in each case. I'm not convinced that there is any reason to read a
connection into these two verses.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine