Re: KAQWS GEGRAPTAI EP' AUTON

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 18 1998 - 12:19:30 EDT

On Thu 18 Jun 98 (02:32:12), hologos@aol.com wrote:
> HLIAS ELHLUQEN, KAI EPOIHSAN AUTW hOSA HQELON, KAQWS GEGRAPTAI EP'
> AUTON. (Mark 9:13)
>
> I take it the AUTON is about Elijah. Does anyone know of a passage in
> the LXX that Mark could be talking about?

 Dear David,

 Here is HB Swete's comment /ad loc/:

 "KAQWS GEGRAPTAI EP' AUTON] So Mark only. In this case Scripture had
 foretold the future not by prophecy but by a type. The fate intended for
 Elijah (1 Kings 19:2, 10) had overtaken John: he had found his Jezebel in
 Herodias. Origen /in Mt./: ALLOS D'AN EIPOI hOTI TO /ALL' EPOIHSAN/ KTL,
 OUK EPI TOUS GRAMMATEIS ALL' EPI THN hHRWiDIADA KAI THN QUGATERA AUTHS KAI
 TON hHRWiDHN ANAFERETAI.

 "The identification of Elijah with John was so evident that, as Matthew
 adds, it was understood by the Three at the time (Mt. TOTE SUNHKAN hOI
 MAQHTAI hOTI PERI IWANOU TOU BAPTISTOU EIPEN AUTOIS). On another and
 earlier occasion, according to Mt., it had been made in express terms
 (Mt 11:14 EI QELETE DEXASQAI, AUTOS ESTIN HLEIAS hO MELLWN ERCESQAI).
 The reference in Malachi 4:5 to 'the great and terrible day of the Lord'
 led the ancient church to expect an appearance of Elijah himself before the
 end; cf Justin /Dial. 49, Chrysostom /ad loc./, Augustine /Tract. in Jo./
 4:5-6." (HB Swete, /The Gospel according to St Mark/, Macmillan, London,
 3rd ed. 1920, p 194).

 CEB Cranfield, /St Mark/, (in the Cambridge Greek Testament Commentary),
 Cambridge University Press, 1955, p 299, has a very terse comment:
 "KAQWS GEGRAPTAI EP' AUTON. Is 1 Kgs xix.2, 10 in mind? Possibly also
 traditions lying behind Rev. xi.3-13? (See further Jeremias in T.W.N.T.
 [Theologisches Wšrterbuch zum Neuen Testament] II, pp 930-43 (esp. 941-3).)"

 As I don't have access to TWNT here, you'll have to hunt about for it.

 HTH
 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF