Re: John 11:35, You'll see

From: John M. Moe (John.M.Moe-1@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 22 1998 - 13:29:20 EDT

dalmatia@eburg.com wrote:

SNIP

>  As a response, it follows
> everyone saying "Come and see," which interestingly is the same thing
> Jesus said to his first disciples in John in response to their enquiry
> of where Jesus was remaining, which is the same remaining that caused
> the death of Lazarus in the first place...

SNIP

Just couldn't let this one pass. In the incident to which your refer, John 1:39, Jesus says ERXESQE
KAI OYESQE. Note, OYESQE is future indicative, not imperative. Now, I know that the future
indicative sometimes is used with volitive force, but here I think we have and invitation in the
imperative, ERXESQE, followed by a promise in the indicative OYESQE. "Come and you'll see"
contrasted to the challenge issued to the skeptical Nathaniel a few verses latter, ERXOU KAI IDE.
I think there is a contrast, not a parallel, between the ERXOU KAI IDE of John 11:34 and the ERXESQE
KAI OYESQE to the two disciples of John at John 1:39.
 --

Rev. John M. Moe
St. John's Lutheran Church, Rich Valley

---