Re: John 11:35

From: Edgar Foster (questioning1@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 17 1998 - 19:26:53 EDT

---George Athas wrote:

> Hi Edgar!

> I would tend to say that Jesus probably wept out of sorrow more than
> anger, for note the next verse (36):

> ELEGON OUN hOI IOUDAIOI, IDE PWS EFILEI AUTON.

> Some of the people obviously saw this as an act of sorrow - a man
> weeping for a dead friend. The fact that others taunted Jesus at this
> moment probably angered him, but I don't think that it was the reason
> why he wept in the first place.

Hi George,

You may well be right. To play the devil's advocate, however, some
might say that those persons mentioned in 11:36 mis-interpreted Jesus'
tears. THEY said that Jesus wept out of his love (FILOS) for Lazarus.
But could they not have misunderstood the weeping of Jesus?

Regards,

Edgar Foster

Classics Major

Lenoir-Rhyne College