Re: John 11:35

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@mailhost.chi.ameritech.net)
Date: Sat Jun 20 1998 - 01:08:26 EDT

We may have at hand a solution to the meaning of EDAKRUSEN hO IHSOUS in
Jn 11:35 if we take Mk 8:12 to be a formal and material parallel to Jn
11:35. In Mk 8:12 Jesus also gives vent to strong emotion when put to
the test by those who seek from him an SHMEION APO TOU OURANOU. He
groans deeply in his spirit (ANASTENACAS TWi PNEUMATI AUTOU). As I
argued in an article in JTS, where I examined all of the pre- 100 CE
instances of the use of ANASTENAZW and cognates both with a verb of
speaking as well as absolutely, the significance of this action is to
express not idignation, but distress and dismay, particularly at being
placed in a forced situation where the choice is often between following
God and losing one's life or saving one's life but denying God (cf.
Susannah 22).

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--