misthos?

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 11:15:33 EDT

Colleagues,

In a commentary I am presently reading, the author states at Mt 6:1 that
<gk> misthon</gk> means "a gift a father gives, not a wage the employer owes".

But in checking the lexicons I do not find this distinction made. Sure,
misthon means reward/wage- but is it accurate to say that in Mt 6:1 such a
sharp distinction can be made between reward and payment?

In short, would Matthew have understood reward as anything but a form of
payment for righteous deeds?

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD