Re: Semantic range of PROSKUNEW

From: Steve Long (steve@allegrographics.com)
Date: Fri Jun 26 1998 - 09:12:32 EDT

>When we study the Greek text of the NT, our goal is to let the words and
>clauses teach us who God and his son are. Athanasius turned this upside
>down, started with his preconceived ideas about God and the Son, and when
>the words did not fit, he changed the meaning of the words. With PROSKUNEW
>the meaning of the word is not changed by anybody on the list, but because
>the word both can have the sense "worship" and "bow down", we cannot use it
>to prove that Jesus was worshipped. If we use the word as a proof for that,
>we have implicitly or explicitly already decided that Jesus is God, as did
>Athanasius. So the argument is circular.

I agree, I when I first started studying Greek it was to help me prove my
doctrine. But the more I studied, the less I could base my doctrine on
small parts (grammar, word definitions, etc.) and the more I had to base my
doctrine on the overall context as I read.

I wonder if God hasn't purposely allowed ambiguity in the GNT as part of
our lessons in being led by the Spirit of the Law and not the Letter.

Steve

Steve Long
president
Allegro Graphics, Inc., Allegro Digital Media, Inc.
4132 Industrial Drive, Saint Peters, Missouri 63376
1-888-819-8166 toll-free
steve@websrv.com, steve@allegrographics.com
http://www.websrv.com/