Re: Harmonization of Gospels

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 26 1998 - 16:10:10 EDT

At 2:45 PM -0400 6/26/98, Theodore H. Mann wrote:
>Greetings B-Greekers.
>
>Can anyone direct me to an harmonization of the gospels that integrates
>all four documents into one single narrative (as opposed to four columns
>laid side-by-side)? I think this should be handled off-list. Many
>thanks.

Just one on-list response, at least. You really ought to look at Thomas
Jefferson's Life of Jesus. It is LITERALLY a scissors-and-paste job of
putting the four gospels into a single continuous narrative: and he does it
with the Greek NT, not with any English version. My parents had a facsimile
edition of it at one time, and I think that there ought to be facsimile
editions of it available now.

Of course, it should be realized that Jefferson was an 18th-century
Enlightenment guy, and his Christianity is more nearly Unitarian than
anything orthodox. Nevertheless, this is one of the more interesting
experiments in harmonization, an idea which I personally think does more
harm than good because it neutralizes the distinct and valuable
perspectives that each evangelist brings to bear on the Jesus narrative.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu

b-greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek