Re: Gal. 4:19

From: Thomas Biddy (web3943@charweb.org)
Date: Tue Jun 30 1998 - 15:08:56 EDT

Dear Ben,

Yes, I know it is a metaphor. I was wondering about the 'femaleness' of
the terms Paul uses as compared with 'father' in
(1 Cor 4:15 KJV) For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ,
yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you
through the gospel.

That is, I am trying to see that Paul uses male and female to illustrate
his relationship (instructor).

If you have any additional verses that illustrate this, I'd love to see
them and to understand the Greek terms that he used.

Very Best,
Thomas

PS - no one liked my cut and paste greek but if there is an Internet
source that I could use, I would. Or I could continue with what I was
using. Someone said it worked fine with Win95.

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Ben Crick wrote:

> On Mon 29 Jun 98 (23:28:47), web3943@charweb.org wrote:
> > (Gal 4:19 KJV) My little children, of whom I travail in birth again
> > until Christ be formed in you,
> >
> > Does this refer to gestation - the nine months a baby is in it's
> > mother's womb?
>
> No; it's a metaphor; compare Nicodemus' misunderstanding of Jesus saying
> he must be born again. He did NOT mean enter a second time into his
> mother's womb and be born (John 3:4).
>
> Paul is labouring, travailing (as a woman in labour) to bring his converts
> whom he has "begotten" in Christ to "new birth", not the natural birth as
> misunderstood by Nicodemus. Paul is afraid that his "foolish bewitched
> Galatian converts" have relapsed into Judaism, and he will have to go
> through another period of "labour" to restore them to their "new born
> (GENNHQHNAI ANWQEN)" status.
>
> IMHO, that is.
> Ben
> --
> Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
> <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>
> 232 Canterbury Road, Birchington, Kent, CT7 9TD (UK)
> http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm
>

> ---
> b-greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek

end