Re: Meaning of ADIAPHORA

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campuscw.net)
Date: Sun Jun 28 1998 - 21:32:32 EDT

Wayne:

Adiaphora "things indifferent" a term deriving from Stoic philosophy where
it indicaet the range of morally neutral actions neither good nor bad.The
term figured in two major daves of 16th century Protestantism. In the the
successors of Luther devated over the reinstiution of papal conciliar and
episcopal jurisdiction of the ceremony of the Mass episcopal confirmation,
confession, penance and absolution, vestments, and chants. . The Pauline
teaching 1 Cor 8:1-9:23 provides a gude to those seemingly indifferent
matters that might create an obstacle or stumbling block to the Gospel and
to others. The second contraversy was during the reign of Elizabeth I over
whether clerical vestments promoted Catholicism. something that is adiaphora
is "non-issue' is is left up to the descretion of the individual

At 10:11 AM 1/29/99 +1100, you wrote:
>Greetings, My name is Wayne Baird from Sydney, Australia. I am 40 years
old and presently preparing for pastoral ministry. I am married to Peta and
have three children, Jaimon 4, Paris 2 and Matilda 1. This year I am about
to begin a Bth (Hon) in New testament. I will be doing a 20,000 word thesis
"Spiritual Elitism in Corinth" I would appreciate any help or advice anybody
would like to offer. I have just left the Pentecostal church for many of
the same reasons Paul addressed the Corinthians.

>Can anybody help me with the meaning of ADIAPHORA, I can not find it in BAGD!
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
>
><META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
><META content='"MSHTML 4.72.3110.7"' name=GENERATOR>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Greetings, My name is Wayne Baird from Sydney,
>Australia.&nbsp; I am 40 years old and presently preparing for pastoral
>ministry.&nbsp; I am married to Peta and have three children, Jaimon 4,
Paris 2
>and Matilda 1.&nbsp; This year I am about to begin a Bth (Hon) in New
>testament.&nbsp; I will be doing a 20,000 word thesis &quot;Spiritual
Elitism in
>Corinth&quot; I would appreciate any help or advice anybody would like to
>offer.&nbsp; I have just left the Pentecostal church for many of the same
>reasons Paul addressed the Corinthians.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Can anybody help me with the meaning of
>ADIAPHORA, I can not find it in BAGD!</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library