Re: odd twist or an ingenious translation?

From: Steve Amato (samato@cfa.harvard.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 11:09:43 EDT

I don't think "genitive of material" is accurate, though I know what you
mean. Genitive of material refers to "that which things are made out of or
consisting of" Such as in:

Mark 2:21 a patch [made out] of unshrunk cloth.

Whereas a shadow comes from a person's body, it is not made out of a
person's body (no DNA in a shadow!).

"the things coming" are the source of the shadow. But if Christ is the body
which is casting the shadow then in what way is he equivalent to "the
things coming". Not that I disagree with you, for I also find it
interesting that he uses swma (body). Using such a physical term seems to
emphasize "shadow" being a physical illustration - rather than as an
abstract noun.