Re: Fw: Concepts and Words

From: Larry Swain (swainl@rocky.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 11:29:05 EDT

>But how do we get from kiss to prostrate?

Prize idiot? I think not....the Talmud (I've forgotten where now) says He
who questions, learns. Sounds Confucian doesn't it?

You do have it backwards, we go from prostrate to kiss> LSJ gives instances
in late 2nd century and far more frequently afterward (though not that
frequent) of PROSKUNEW being used in the sense of kissing someone or kissing
their "ring", basically the same act as PROSKUNEW-the showing respect to a
superior by a form og obeisance. Hope that helps.

Larry Swain

---
b-greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek