Re: tameion: scatological?

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 00:01:13 EDT

Jim,

What all of those senses have in common is a private, enclosed room.

I think that Louw & Nida sense 7.28 is relevant here:

"a room in the interior of a house, normally without windows opening to the
outside - `inner room.' hO PROS TO OUS ELALHSATE EN TOIS TAMEIOIS
KHRUXQHSETAI EPI TWN dWMATWN `whatever you whispered in (people's) ears in
the inner room will be shouted in public' #Luke 12:3 . In #Luke 12:3 the
emphasis is upon the strictly private location of the inner room. In such a
context one may translate `a strictly private room' or `a small room in the
center of the house.'"

The context makes it clear that Louw & Nida are right on target here.
Here's a translation of the two verses that contain the above quote:

Luke 12:2 (NASU) "But there is nothing covered up that will not be
revealed, and hidden that will not be known. 3 "Accordingly, whatever you
have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have
whispered in the inner rooms will be proclaimed upon the housetops.

Note the strong parallelism - concealed (SUGKEKALUMMENON), in the darkness
(EN THi SKOTIAi), in the inner room (EN TOIS TAMEIOIS). Luke 12:3 isn't
trying to say that the things we have whispered in the bathrooms will be
proclaimed upon the housetops, it is saying that things we try to keep
hidden, concealed, and private will be proclaimed publically.

I think it is the same contrast between public and private that is intended
in the use of TAMEIOS in Matt 6:5.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine