Re: Hebrews 11:6b

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Sun Jul 05 1998 - 01:34:43 EDT

Larry Swain wrote in response to my query:

>> Which brings us to your first two questions. The first regarding
your
translation-GRAMMATICALLY speaking the HOTI....KAI sets both clauses as
equal in weight. <<

This appears to be what Miller is saying (KAI implies equal
propositions).

>> However, the nuance of Greek is that what comes first in
the sentence has the most emphasis and what comes last has more emphasis

than the middle. But that nuance is open to question and shouldn't have
lot of weight put on it. LOGICALLY, it would seem that the latter
follows
from the former. <<

I'm not sure I follow you here - what do you mean by "the latter" - the
latter part of Hebrews 11:6b, or the latter part of your statement - or
something else?

>> Anyway, the point is that GRAMMATICALLY one can not
really justify a translation where the latter is the result of the
former. <<

So ... what should I understand from this? If by "latter" you mean the
latter part of Hebrews 11:6b, are you saying that God being a rewarder
is not to be translated to seem to be a result of God existing?

>> And hopefully that addresses your question about the commentators-the
one
is discussing the grammar of the passage, the other is talking of the
emphasis one idea receives because of primacy of place-and the latter
idea
links into the catalog of faithful which follows-they received reward
because they believed He Is. <<

As you can probably tell, I'm not quite understanding your point. Also,
does this directly answer my question about whether the "that" should be
construed also with the end of 11:6b - i.e., " ... must believe THAT He
exists and THAT He becomes a rewarder ..."? What are you saying about my
suggested (but obviously highly-unpopular) alternative - "must believe
THAT He exists; and He becomes a rewarder to those who seek Him"?

Your answer about DEI and the accusative (my third question) was most
helpful, though. Thanks! A look at DEI in my Greek Concordance would
have shown me similar constructions.

Sorry if I'm a little dense here.

--
"Eric S. Weiss"