Re: John 1:1 EN ARCH

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 07:48:50 EDT

At 12:53 AM 7/7/98 EDT, AgapeLove9@aol.com wrote:

>The literal translation is "In a beginning" at John 1:1. He explains...

I don't understand how this is *the* literal translation, since there is no
such thing as an indefinite article in Greek, and prepositional phrases are
often definite without the article. I'm afraid that the grammar itself is
ambiguous here, so you have to turn to the context.

In this translation, how is John 3:21 translated? I'm particularly curious
about the phrase hINA FANERWQHi AUTOU TA ERGA hOTI EN QEWi ESTIN
EIRGASMENA, which I would translate as "that it may be apparent of his
works that they were performed in God". Is this translated "performed in
*a* God"?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine