Re: Recognition: 2d Aorist

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 11:42:48 EDT

At 09:57 PM 7/6/98 -0400, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Two questions: (1) does the 2d Aorist ALWAYS have a different stem from the
>aorist, or are there verbs for which the stems are identical? (2) are there
>some useful heuristics for finding the verb if I don't recognize it, or
>should I just use an analytical lexicon at this point?

You may find the discussion in Smyth, sections 546-553, to be helpful. There
are a variety of rules that may be applied to create the second aorist form,
e.g. the "weak stem" (ELIPON < LEIPW), reduplication (HGAGON < AGW), syncope
(EPTOMHN < PETOMAI), A for E (ETRAPON < TREPW), metathesis (EDRAKON <
DERKOMAI),
most of which seem to derive from the Indo-European *E/*O/*zero ablaut vowel
gradation system.

Stephen Carlson
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com