Re: Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 17:01:35 EDT

At 08:16 PM 7/7/98 +0800, Steven Cox wrote:

>Is anyone here familiar with the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom?

Yes, I attended a Greek Orthodox church for about 3 months once upon a time
(maybe 20 years ago), and they use this liturgy. I have an interlinear copy
of it in Greek, Old Church Slavonic, and German.

The text is available in English from this site:

  http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/liturgy/liturgy.html

You can hear a RealAudio recording of the liturgy in Greek here:

  http://www.goarch.org/live.html

I find the Liturgy very beautiful.

>I'm about to order the recording by The Greek Byzantine Choir under
>Lycourgos Angellopllos on the Opus 111 label. Does anyone know if:
>(a) if the text of the liturgy is really by Chrysostom?

That's at least the folklore that goes along with it in the Greek Orthodox
Church. I can't give you a scholarly opinion.

>(b) if it includes chunks from the Greek New Testament?

It includes the Lord's Prayer. Besides that, there are many familiar
phrases. If you've done a fair bit of reading in the GNT, the Liturgy is
reasonably easy to understand. Of course, they use the modern
pronunciation, so if your pronunciation is Erasmian, you may scratch your
head wondering what "AHF-TEE" means (oh, is that how they pronounce
AUTHi?). It's easiest if you can also get your hands on a printed text
unless you use modern pronunciation.

There are also some scriptures that are read on any given Sunday. These are
not part of the Liturgy itself, but any recording of the Liturgy will
include that day's scripture readings.

Although the pronunciation is normally modern, the Greek itself is very
close to New Testament Greek, much closer than it is to Modern. I attended
an Orthodox Easter service this Easter in Melbourne I found that the
scriptures were familiar and easy to understand. The Liturgy was also easy
to understand. The local Bishop wrote a 20 minute letter in a form of Greek
which was neither New Testament nor modern, but seemed to be a flowery,
archaic form of modern Greek. I found that fairly difficult to understand.
The part that was hardest to understand, extremely difficult for me, was
the announcements, telling someone that they left their lights on, etc.
Hopefully, your recording will omit the latter two parts.

>(c) if the recording mentioned includes texts?

The Liturgy consists pretty much completely of chanted texts.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine