Re: HO LOGOS - The Marshal(ler)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 17:16:46 EDT

At 1:13 PM -0500 7/09/98, Will Wagers wrote:

>>Please give
>>feedback as to whether LOGOS could have a reference to "putting in order"
>>"marshalling" rather than to a spoken word, which is the unquestioning
>>assumption of many.
>
>Yes and no. Yes, the technical, philosophical meaning going back to Heraclitus
>is something like "ordering", which accords nicely with the definition of
>KOSMOS
>--the order of the universe, world-order (organization), order, orderly
> arrangement. No, not necessarily "rather than to a spoken word", because
>the spoken word, or rather the intelligent, metaphysical principle of
>organization behind the spoken word, was a popular and one of the most
>ancient, paradigms for Creation in the ANE and elsewhere.
>
>Heidegger,--who, while very competent in Greek, but uses many questionable
>translation techniques--says the following:
>
> "LOGOS (LEGEIN, to gather and assemble) "
>
> "In the thinking of Heraclitus the Being (presencing) of beings
> appears as hO LOGOS, as the Laying that gathers."
>
> --Martin Heidegger, _Early Greek Thinking_, tr. D.F. Krell
> and F.A. Capuzzi (NY: Harper & Row, 1975)
>
> . . . . . .
>On the contrary, no theology at all is necessary to arrive at the "Marshal"
>translation.

Heidegger does indeed draw heavily on early Greek philosophy; I once heard
him lecture (at the 700th anniversary festival of the University of
Freiburg-i-Br. on a fragment of Parmenides--can't say that I got an awful
lot out of it. His Greek is very weird indeed.

But as for LOGOS and Heraclitus, it seems to me that LOGOS is altogether
impersonal in Heraclitus: a principle of rhythm, a harmony of opposites; at
one point he compares it to the NOMOS of a city which must be obeyed but
oddly, although Greek idiom says, hO NOMOS KELEUEI ..., the Law is not a
personal commander. I still don't much like "marshal"--it does suggest
KOSMOS and the noun KOSMHTHS--and even in Heraclitus the LOGOS is also a
"word"--H. says at one point "OUK EMOU ALLA TOU LOGOU CRH AKOUEIN ..."

So I would still far prefer to leave LOGOS untranslated on grounds that any
one translation fails to express the full range of its possibilities.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu