Re: Hebrews 12:1-2 and MARTUS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 06:39:52 EDT

I am inclined to think personally that "witness" here is being understood
overmuch in the more contemporary English sense of the word--even an
evangelical (lower-case C) sense of telling one's own
faith-history--whereas there is always, I think,in the classical and
especially in the NT usage a powerful overtone of the original
judicial/forensic setting of the word: a MARTUS is a witness in a trial,
not a spectator at an event--and the distinctive NT usage is of one who is
brought to trial and faces execution for the "testimony" that one offers
before the court. So I think that the context of Heb 12:1-2 suggests only
secondarily some notion of an arena of spectators watching a race being
performed (that is much more the suggestion of Phil 2) and more the notion
of a Roman CORONA of onlookers at our own trial: our 'race' is our own
performance before both an earthly and an eschatological forensic judge.

Here's L&N (from Accordance):

20.67 MARTUS , MARTUROS, dat. pl. MARTUSIN m: a person who has been
deprived of life as the result of bearing witness to his beliefs -
'martyr.' KAI EK TOU hAIMATOS TWN MARTURWN IHSOU 'and the blood of those
who were killed because they had been loyal to Jesus' Re 17:6. A strictly
literal translation of the Greek expression in Re 17:6 (EK TOU hAIMATOS TWN
MARTURWN IHSOU 'of the blood of the martyrs of Jesus') is likely to result
in considerable misunderstanding, for it could mean that these were
individuals who had been martyred by Jesus rather than those who had been
deprived of their lives because of their relationship to Jesus. It would be
possible to render tw×n martu/rwn ÆIhsouv as 'those who had been killed
because they belonged to Jesus,' but one should avoid any expression which
would suggest slave ownership.

33.270 MARTUS , ROS, dat. pl. SIN m: (derivative of MARTUREW 'to witness,'
33.262) a person who witnesses - 'witness, one who testifies.' hINA EPI
STOMATOS DUO MARTURWN H TRIWN STAQHi PAN hRHMA 'in order that everything
may be confirmed on the basis of what two or three witnesses say' Mt 18:16.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu