Re: Christianities

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 07:21:36 EDT

At 7:08 AM -0400 7/10/98, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 02:10 PM 7/9/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>This is NOT a B-Greek question, so please reply to me off-list - some of
>>you, however, are the very ones that I would most like to ask this
>>question of:
>>
>>Is the existence of such a plethora of denominations/sects/expressions
>>of Christianity/theologies, etc., today indicative of the
>>fact/possibility that "the faith once for all delivered to the saints"
>>(Jude 3) was not a single, well-defined faith?
>
>There *is* a Greek question embedded in your query. In the phrase you cite,
>is PISTEI to be taken as a systematic doctrine, or does it mean something
>else? What does the context tell us about the meaning of PISTIS in this
>passage?

Jonathan, I really believe this may be a mistake--to encourage on-list
I don't really think he's asking about what PISTIS means in the Jude
passage. We'll see what transpires, but I have a feeling this may unleash
some flood gates (I am more apprehensive than I should be, but I can see a
30K treatise by Ward Powers coming about PISTIS in Jude 3 which I expect to
be informed by convictions rather than ordinary hard exegesis.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu