Imperfect outside the Indicative

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 16:05:25 EDT

I was thinking about the Present and the Imperfect, and the common
statement that they differ only in that Imperfect expresses past time. It
struck me that if absolute time exists only in the Indicative, it might be
interesting to explore how Present and Imperfect differ outside the
Indicative.

So I fire up Gramcord and do a search for Imperfect verbs that are not
Indicative.

"Construction not found".

Wow. The Imperfect occurs only in the Indicative, eh? That caught me by
surprise. There's apparently not much need for the Imperfect outside the
Indicative, which seems to reinforce the notion that the Imperfect and
Present differ only in that the Imperfect expresses past time.

Are there really no undisputed examples of non-Indicative Imperfect verbs
in the GNT? Are there examples of non-Indicative Imperfect verbs outside
the GNT?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine