Re: OU + MH + aor. subj.

From: Paul R. Zellmer (zellmer@cag.pworld.net.ph)
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 19:10:53 EDT

Carl wrote:

> In the original question Zerwick was cited as saying this (OU MH + aorist
> subj.) is the strongest possible Greek form of stating the imperative
> notion. A Latin equivalent is NE + perfect subjunctive with the sense, like
> that of the Greek construction, "Don't ever xxxx ..." or "You are not ever
> to xxxx ..." Now archaic English would have put it: "You SHALL not xxxx ..."

Carl, I can see the possibility of this interpretation in Gal. 5:16,
EPIQUMIAN SARKOS OU MH TELESTHTE. But take one of the examples that I
referred to, Luke 6:37 KAI MY KRINETE, KAI OU MH KRIQHTE: KAI MH
KATADIKAZETE, KAI OU MH KATADIKASQHTE. APOLUETE, KAI APOLUQHSESQE: Here
the OU MH terms are combined with forms that could either be aorist
subjunctive passives or aorist imperative passives, right? (At least
I'm not seeing any augment, which is required by the indicative,
correct?) These two negative forms are paralleled in the usage of a
positive future indicative passive. If the subjunctive interpretation
were intended here, would not Luke have used APOLUSHSQE or at least
APOLUHTE? It appears the second part of the third clause is simple
future. Would it not also be logical to interpret the second parts of
the the first two clauses like simple futures?

Robertson quotes page 78 of Burton's _Syntax of the Moods and Tenses of
the New Testament_ with exactly the same phrase that Justin said Zerwick
used, "the aorist subjunctive is used with OU MH in the sense of an
emphatic future indicative." This is not a "don't ever" or "thou shalt
not." That would be a strong prohibition, an imperatival use, correct?

Part of what appears to be clouding the issue is that the examples cited
so far are 2nd person. I feel this issue comes clearer when we look at
the numerous cases of third person aorist subjunctives used with OU MH.
Look, for example, at John 4:14, John 6:37, and John 10:28. We would
translate these as simple future indicatives, right?

Anyway, that's what it looks like to me.

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer@faith.edu.ph