Re: Rom. 1:4 EN DUNAMEI adverbial or adjectival

From: David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 14:06:20 EDT

At 09:09 AM 7/15/98 -0700, dalmatia@eburg.com wrote:
>Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>> As I've said previously, unless EK PISTEWS is specifically attached to hO
>> DIKAIOS by a repeated article, so that it reads hO DIKAIOS hO EK PISTEWS,
>> then EK PISTEWS ought to construe ONLY with ZHSETAI.
>
>Well, a repeated article such as you suggest would most certainly nail
>it to hO DIKAIOS. And the absence ot that article gives us the
>adverb-adjective controversy. If we understand hO DE DIKAIOS ZESETAI
>as a 'unit of discourse' which EK PISTEWS modifies, then the
>difficulty vanishes.

        But it appears, in that case, the noun is only affected by the
prepositional phrase through the *verb*, _ergo_ the phrase is functioning
adverbially. Maybe it is better to approach this from the standpoint of
the original question of this thread. Does the phrase EK PISTEWS function
as an adverb or as an adjective? Of course, how one answers this question
is going to influence how each of the components of this sentence are
understood, and that may be what George is getting at. But also, the
sentence as a whole will be understood quite differently depending on how
one answers it.

        The rule that Carl Conrad has cited seems to satisfactorily conform to the
data available without too many exceptions. And I think it is this maxim
that should be applied in the case of EN DUNAMEI in Rom. 1:4 and probably
also of EK PISTEWS in 1:17 even though certain interpretations of its
context may seem to favor its being taken in an adjectival sense.

Regards,
David Moore

David L. Moore
Miami, Florida, USA