Re: Rom. 1:4 EN DUNAMEI adverbial or adjectival

From: dalmatia@eburg.com
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 11:17:51 EDT

Then David L. Moore wrote:

> > But it appears, in that case, the noun is only affected by the
> >prepositional phrase through the *verb*, _ergo_ the phrase is functioning
> >adverbially.

This is an amazing thread. I suspect a storm in a tea cup, with
theological issues brewing, but really have no way of knowing what
they might be.

Apparently there is no grammatic term that includes adverb and
adjective, and we are stuck in the box that says we must term a
prepositional modifier as either one or the other in a sentence where
there is only a noun and a verb. Apparently we have no rule of
grammar that allows such a modifier to modify the whole sentence that
surrounds it. Ergo... "Ah'm jes' amazed, Scarlett!"

Of course it is functioning adverbially! And of course it is
functioning adjectivally! There is a noun and a verb in the whole of
this sentence, and the prepositional phrase in question is smack dab
in the middle. Why is this so hard?? WHY do WE have to INSIST that
it be EITHER_OR?? [mutter-mutter mumble-mumble!!]

> >Maybe it is better to approach this from the standpoint of
> >the original question of this thread. Does the phrase EK PISTEWS function
> >as an adverb or as an adjective? Of course, how one answers this question
> >is going to influence how each of the components of this sentence are
> >understood, and that may be what George is getting at. But also, the
> >sentence as a whole will be understood quite differently depending on how
> >one answers it.

And I would add that partitive vs holistic thinking will as well be
determinative... My prejudice here is that I believe the former to be
a Latinization of the Greek, and the latter to be Greek.

George

Lisa Messmer..................ICQ# 5666415
George Blaisdell        dalmatia@eburg.com

Have you seen Dulcie? Look for her Heart! http://www.eburg.com/~dalmatia/dulcie.html

Last Chance for Animals...Fight Pet Theft! http://www.lcanimal.org