Re: EIS XRISTON-Gal. 3:24

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 18:47:09 EDT

At 4:39 PM -0400 7/17/98, Jim West wrote:
>At 01:22 PM 7/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>Dear B-Greekers,
>>
>>As I continue my analysis of Gal. 3:24, I have more questions
>>concerning the Law. According to the apostle, the Law served as a
>>PAIDAGWGOS hHMWN GEGONEN EIS XRISTON.
>>
>>Should EIS be understood here as purposive or temporal? Or, could
>>there be a possibility I'm missing?
>
>I take it as a "result" clause. That is, "Torah is the pedagogue which
>leads us (result) to Christ."

EIS + acc. a "result CLAUSE"? While I'm familiar with EIS + articular infinitive functioning as equivalent to hWSTE + infinitive, the notion that EIS + an accusative noun can serve that way is new to me.

For my part, I think David Moore's suggestion is right: that Paul's language here points to the same spiritual incorporation of believers with Christ that is regularly indicated by Paul's distinctive "EN CRISTWi" phrase. Hence, the Law served as a Tutor preparing us "for incorporation in Christ."