Re: EIS XRISTON-Gal. 3:24

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 18 1998 - 00:35:38 EDT

On Fri 17 Jul 98 (13:22:46), questioning1@yahoo.com wrote:
> As I continue my analysis of Gal. 3:24, I have more questions
> concerning the Law. According to the apostle, the Law served as a
> PAIDAGWGOS hHMWN GEGONEN EIS XRISTON.
>
> Should EIS be understood here as purposive or temporal? Or, could
> there be a possibility I'm missing?

 Dear Edgar:

 The translators supply some sort of phrase here; "the Law was our
 schoolmaster [to bring us] to Christ" (KJV). This IMHO is based on the
 root meaning of the reduplicated AGWGOS part of PAIDAGWGOS: the slave
 who leads (AGW) the child (PAIS) to the Teacher (DIDASKALOS).

 So I would take EIS CRISTON as purposive, or spatial (not temporal).
 PAIDAGWGOS takes the PAIS by the hand and leads him to Christ, who is
 the Teacher here. Christ is the One who had the MAQHTAS to teach. Their
 experience of the Law led them to Him.

 ERRWSQE,
 Ben

--