Re: eis + accusative: FOLLOW-UP

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 19 1998 - 07:43:06 EDT

At 7:06 PM -0400 7/18/98, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 9:43 AM -0700 7/18/98, Edgar Foster wrote:
>>Carl,
>>
>>Brooks and Winbery do refer to the accusative of result on p. 55 of NT
>>Syntax (1979). Two examples given are Rom. 5:18; Phil. 1:9, 10.
>
>Well, Carlton will no doubt be able to offer an account of this
>entitlement. It appears to me to be another instance of the application of
>that old motto of Koine grammarians: ENTIA MULTIPLICANDA PRAETER
>NECESSITATEM. I've never thought it was really necessary to understand EIS
>+ accusative in categories beyond the literal spatial or temporal limit and
>the metaphorical extensions of spatial limit. I guess "result" could be
>considered one of those metaphorical extensions, but I don't see why it
>needs a distinct category. My apologies to those who rely upon those
>grammars and find those categorizations useful.

I note, for what it's worth, that upon checking BDF I find there a category
of "accusative of object and result" (BDF#158): "The classical pattern
DIAIREIN TI DUO MERH (MERH is the result of DIAIREIN); K-G I 323) is also
represented inthe NT (apart from POIEIN with double acc., s. #157(1): Mt
13:30 DHSATE AUTA DESMAS, ... Lk 9:14 KATAKLINATE AUTOUS KLISIAS. ... But
this bears no relationship whatsoever to the sort of accusative
construction that started this thread PAIDAGWGOS EGENETO EIS CRISTON in Gal
3:24.

For clarity's sake, let me say that my feeling about this category of an
"accusative of result" has little practical value so far as I can see. Is
one helped to understand the meaning of such phrases as "the road to
destitution," "the sickness unto death," and "division into multiple
categories" somehow eased if one calls "to destitution," "unto death," and
"into multiple categories" instances of an "accusative of result"?

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu