Re: Improper Postings

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 06:45:25 EDT

<x-rich>At 9:58 PM -0400 7/20/98, Theodore H. Mann wrote:

>Is it my imagination, or are there a lot of postings recently that
have

>nothing to do with the purpose of B-Greek? Have the rules changed?

1. Here is the description of the list's focus from the current FAQ
that has been posted to the list and that is distributed to every new
subscriber.

B-GREEK is an electronic conference designed to foster communication
concerning the scholarly study of the Greek Bible and related Jewish
and Christian Greek texts, matters of concern to beginning and advanced
students of Biblical Greek such as textbooks, reference works,
bibliography and research tools, with a fundamental focus on
understanding the Greek text of the Bible. Anyone interested in New
Testament Studies is invited to subscribe, but the list will assume at
least a working knowledge of Biblical Greek.

This statement differs from previous statements only in that it spells
out more precisely our focus upon the Greek text of the Bible and the
Greek language of the Bible (including study tools and methods of study
of Biblical Greek). I don't really think it is true that there have
been "a lot of postings" alien to the list's purpose, although there
have been some. Let me repeat here something that has been said before
but that has not been spelled out precisely in that FAQ statement: we
have not spelled out or defined precisely all areas that are
inappropriate for discussion, thinking it wiser to let discussion
proceed unless or until it is clear that a boundary has been
overstepped, as happens when the focus of discussion shifts from
discussion of the Greek text or Greek language to such matters of
general Biblical interpretation and theology as are wont to display and
underscore sectarian differences between list members and lead into
flame wars. Some of the discussion of the Johannine prologue in recent
weeks has tended toward underscoring these sectarian differences and
the BG-Staff have closed off those threads as soon as it has been clear
that the boundaries have been overstepped.

2. Here is the key paragraph regarding Netiquette from the current
FAQ,in which there have been no changes:

Respectful discourse: Those who participate in the conference represent
a wide range of theological and denominational perspectives, perhaps
even including some whose interests are purely academic. Deep
religious convictions surely characterize many, perhaps most, of the
list-participants, and some of these convictions bear directly upon how
the Biblical text is to be understood. At the core of our discussion,
however, is not what our convictions are but what the Greek text may
legitimately be understood to mean. If discussion of this nature is to
succeed, proper respect and courtesy to other list members is
important. While scholarly debate, including disagreement, is
encouraged as a goal of this conference, attacks upon the character,
intelligence, or faith of those participating are not acceptable.
Criticism must focus upon the arguments of others; it may not be
directed to the individual. Those who violate this policy will be
contacted politely by the B-Greek staff and requested to conform to
these guidelines. Those who continue to violate the policy will no
longer be welcome in the conference.

Violations of Netiquette are taken very seriously and the BG-Staff have
been in contact off-list with violators and have, in fact, removed from
the list a very small number of them (I don't believe there have been
even a handful thus excluded within two years).

If there are questions about the propriety of a proposed topic or
query, please address them to the List-Owner, Jonathan Robie, at
jwrobie@mindspring.com or to one of the co-chairs, Edward Hobbs at
ehobbs@wellesley.edu or myself, Carl Conrad, at
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu; alternatively, such queries may be addressed
to the BG-Staff at b-greek-staff@franklin.oit.unc.edu, but we would
certainly prefer NOT to carry on lengthy discussions of policy openly
on list.

Carl W. Conrad

Co-Chair, B-Greek List

</x-rich>