Re: Proclitics, Enclitics and TIS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 13:15:12 EDT

Since I'm not sure that this was ever distributed to the list (I sent it at
some point yesterday between the time the server went back up and the time
it crashed again--I THINK--and the server is not currently available on the
web to check), I'm sending it again.

At 11:46 AM -0700 7/21/98, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>In Acts 13:15 we have EI TIS ESTIN. The editors of the received text (NA27)
>have placed the accents
>
>EI/ TI/S ESTIN
>
>But Ropes and Alford have
>
>EI/ TIS E/STIN
>
>Now EI is a proclitic and TIS is enclitic and ESTIN appears to behave like an
>enclitic, so the accent on the enclitic TIS falls back on the proclitic EI and
>the accent on ESTIN falls back on the the enclitic TIS. The result of all this
>is to create a bit of hard reading for those who are accustom to the absolute
>assurance that TIS and TI/S can always be distinguished by the accent.
>
>I suspect the difference between Alford/Ropes and NA27 is an editorial
>decision regarding readability, is this true or is there something more
>significant going on here?

I don't know why Ropes and Alford have edited as they have, but the
standard rule regarding enclitics is that, in any string of two or more
enclitics (or of a proclitic and one or more enclitics) every word except
the last is accented. The Alford/Ropes formulation is, I believe, simply
wrong. If someone can show me a different rule bearing on this, I'll be
happy to retract that judgment.
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu