Re: Classical Grammar?

From: Phillip J. Long (plong@gbcol.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 14:41:13 EDT

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:20:16, you wrote:

>I hear good things about two classcal Greek grammars - the one by Hanson &
>Quinn, (Greek- An Intensive Course, I think it's called) and a two-volume
>work by G. Zuntz. I'd appreciate hearing what experiences you've had with
>either, your likes/dislikes, etc.

I am teaching from Chase and Phillips this semester at a Bible
College. We teach a year from C&P, then move into Koine. As for
liking the text, I've only had it as a student, but it seems to cover
things at a decent pace and in an order I am accustom to. Nouns and
verbs are dealt with early on, and most of the exercises are adapted
Greek from the first lesson on, traditional style grammar.

I have a copy of Athenaze on the shelf, it is OK, but I was not
impressed with the exercises. Made up Greek from the beginning, and at
least the first few lessons were annoying to me.

I just bought "Reading Greek" from the Joint Association of Classical
Teachers, pub. by Cambridge. It is in two volumes, a "text" and a
grammar/vocab/exercises. The idea is that the student is given a
Greek text inone book, and the "helps" in another. After completing a
section, then there is a grammatical discussion. Very "inductive,"
somewhat the opposite of C&P. I am enjoying reading through the text
to refresh my skills on classical Greek.

>Also, if you've come from a Koine background, how has the study of
>classical Greek helped you?

Well, I took Koine in High School (2 years, equivilent to a year of
college I suppose), a year of Classical in college, then back to koine
for a few classes in undergrad, then grad school was all koine.

What I like about classical is that it forces you to learn Greek
syntax and grammar, since it is unlikely you know the passages in
english. What first year Seminiary student can't translate John 3:16
the first time? After doing time in a classical text, 1 John is like
the "easy" exercises!

Phil Long