Re: Choice of classical grammar

From: Larry Swain (swainl@calcite.rocky.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 16:19:15 EDT

Xenophon's Anabasis is always a good place to start, and when I tutor I
try to find interesting bits lest the student fall asleep. (Slogging
through stadia after stadia.....or when doing Latin slogging through the
Gallic Wars.....but some interesting stuff in both those works and I would
never trade having gone through them for anything now) and I often also
mix in bits of the LXX for the beginning students-like say the book of
Ruth, Plato's Apology is also a good teeth cutter, imho. As for Homer,
WOW! SOrry, I love reading Homer....its challenging at times, but oh so
worth the effort. And Herodotus....ok, signing off before I wax eloquent.
But I would say some LXX, the Anabasis, the Apology, and then maybe some
bits of Herodotus are good texts to start with.

Regards,
Larry Swain