Re: Mt 7:28

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 07:32:53 EDT

At 08:41 AM 8/4/98 -0400, you wrote:

>>Another difficulty. The crowd is offended- so the priests dont want to
>>arrest him. This weighs against my thesis- but, so far, is the only place
>>that does.
>
>Do you really believe this, Jim? Most will read this to mean that the high
>priets and scribes feel that their hands are tied in acting against Jesus
>because the crowd is strongly in Jesus' favor. So they must bide their time
>and wait for a more favorable opportunity--arrest him stealthily when the
>crowds are not present.

I'm sorry- I did not express myself clearly here. My intention was to say
this it was not likely that "offended" would be a good way of understanding
the verb in question here- thus, in this instance, my thesis is undermined.
The crowd is, in fact, amazed at Jesus and for that reason the priests did
not arrest him.

>>I didn't know I was a Heideggerian (though I am by confession an unabashed
>>Bultmannian) :)
>
>Were you not aware that Bultmann's theology was heavily influenced by
>Heidegger?

yes, of course. :)

>The celebrated "demythologization" scheme certainly leaned on
>Heidegger. Personally, however, I'm more impressed by the enduring
>achievement of Bultmann's synoptic criticism than by the theology.

I have always been a fan of his sermons most of all.

In all of this I have merely suggested that the traditional way of viewing
the reaction of the crowd may not be correct. It may be; but it may not.
The texts cited can, in many instances, be read either way, it seems to me.

But, as always Carl, your insights are extremely useful.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible