Re: The meaning of hAPLOTHS in Romans 12:8

From: Mary L B Pendergraft (pender@wfu.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 11 1998 - 19:10:54 EDT

At 11:53 AM 8/11/98 -0700, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>
>> But, LSJ (page 191) lists a Greek inscription as evidence for the glosses
>> "open heartedness" or "liberality" , the reference is 1GI 4.157. Not having
>> the Greek inscription handy I cannot quote if for you.
>>

>My reference is for this inscription is wrong, but I am not sure how
correct it.
>It is either 1GI 4.1517 or 1G 14.1517.
>
>Perhaps someone with more experience with LSJ could explain how to parse
these
>references. I studied the explanation in the front of LSJ but it still isn't
>obvious.

Actually, it's IG = Inscriptiones Graecae ("Greek Inscriptions"!) volume
14, then the 1517th inscription. Some folks can identify the region where
the inscription was found from the volume number, but I'm not among them.

Mary

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109-7343
336-758-5331 (NOTE: this is a new number) pender@wfu.edu